Bad News...

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

3rd_DM_of_Zork
A white house, what?

Bad News...

Post by 3rd_DM_of_Zork »

Hey all, I have some news. My cousin works for Activision's planning department and after reading the posts on this site, I asked him to look into the rumers for us. I just got off the phone with him and he said the company's official statement is, "Activision has no plans of continuing the Zork series at this time" Also, I had him see if they heard about Z:THE and he said they have heard about the project but they don't think it will ever be completed. Here's what he told me the officials said: "Fan-made games based on other games and movies are almost never completed and are usually dropped because those who are making them become too preoccupied by the rest of their lives so the projects are usually tossed around a message board somewhere with the other members of the board drooling over the game which will never be completed and complaing about us (meaning Activision) choosing not to continue the series."

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!! THE NERVE!!!!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Re: Bad News...

Post by DataAngel »

Well preoccupied is true, no ones getting PAID here so we all work for free. Its something we all want but no one has enough funds to do it. Actually its not to hard to make I was(kinda am) working on an outline for Z:THE and its pretty thorough, weather, time of day, main chars. places to travel. But the filler can come after we get all the main plot down.

I would say that if they were worried we'd finish the game then they'd probably want to do something about it. But till then they are just gonna not care.

INactivision is just sitting on their lazy butts... they have the license and they don't care, we WANT the license and do care, its a slow process but at least we are TRYING to make a game.
Last edited by DataAngel on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantine
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by Fantine »

That is sad. :(

My hypothesis is that Activision will probably come out with something for the 30th Anniversary of Zork in a few years (it sounds good on the packaging, gets the orginal players of the series to buy a piece of thier youth, etc. etc.); but probably won't do anything before then. (Take into consideration how many years of planning, animations, etc. go into a project such as that.)  

Best of luck to all who are working on the Z:HE fan game. :) It looks very promising from what I've seen on this site.

On a side note, is it really intelligent for a company to refer to their customers as "Drolling"?  Hmmmmmm......
3rd_DM_of_Zork
A white house, what?

Post by 3rd_DM_of_Zork »

The part about drooling was not an official InActivision statement but the personnal opinion of the guy who gave us the statement.
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

:) Just kind of funny in a cosmic sort of sense.

But hey, I teach first graders. What do I know, lol! :)
Nemesis
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by Nemesis »

Of course, all that did was make me determined to help finish the game. If it is not completed, Activision was right, and we lose. Expect to see me more often.
ZorkFanDM

Post by ZorkFanDM »

Wow, I really wish I could help you guys out on this project and live up to my sn, but I currently have only a basic grasp of DOS C++ programming, and my art is...sad. That is why I plan to be a designer.

So I REALLY want you guys to get this done and beat the evil InActivision.