Located beneath the Valley of the Sparrows, southwest of the
subterranean Shanbar, this dreary cul-de-sac was known as the
Vulture Pits. Surrounded by high, sheer cliffs, these caverns served as
a feeding ground for the many vultures perched on the rock ledges and
in the caves of the encircling mountains, those which were under the
command of Morphius,
c. 1635-1647 GUE. Within the pits was a giant totem pole in worship to
an unknown persona.