return to zork

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

Nona

return to zork

Post by Nona »

when I try to do convesations I can't get the menue to stay up so I can pick out what to do . For instance when I click on talk the menue pops up for only a second and drops back to where you see the talk button and inventory , pics , map , etc.
I'm running windows xp . even the clips of the guy in the globe go by quickly . Can you help ?
JDS
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: return to zork

Post by JDS »

There's some stuff around that slow down windows, I don't know where, sorry, but this is my best gues.

I got the same problem with some of my (old!) games, they're incredibly fast because they use a type of programming that thinks your system is slow, and so it doesn't wait after a number of ticks. I'll stop here.

Good luck though, nice to see a new visitor! :D
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Try using Windows 98 if you can, I believe its not Windows XP compatible. I don't recall trying it in Windows 2k though.
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

uh, I'm not sure if it works but there's some program called VDMSound that I think would slow down that sort of thing. But I dunno if that was for that situation.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

VDMSound is for DOS sound emulation, it wouldn't really slow it down, it might a little because it would emulate a DOS shell for sound, but its not what you are looking for.
Michael Peterson

Post by Michael Peterson »

I have the I have the same problem
ezekiel

Post by ezekiel »

using DOSBox and D-Fend front end are the best solution as with DOSBox you can specify the number of cycles per second i found the best to be 8000