Best Zork game...

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

Which Zork game was the best?

One of the text-adventures
24%
Return to Zork.
21%
Zork Nemesis
24%
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
28%
Zork: The Hidden Evil
3%

Total votes: 29
Basse
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: Best Zork game...

Post by Basse »

What I like about ZN was that there's a lot of things to click here and there. I only found out about the funny music when you played the record backwards in the conservatory after about the fifth time I complete the game (if you don't know what I'm talking about....um, just forget it).

By the way, the end came as a complete surprise to me. I only got supicious when Malvoux, or whatever, the priest guy wacked me in the head with a shovel. "Hmmmm...," I said to myself, "something's not quite right here."

So I didn't drink the stuff and WOAV! They are the BAD GUYS, Nemesis and Lucien are the SAME PERSON and they are the GOOD GUY! Dude, that was the best ending I've ever seen in any movie/game/book etc. Seriously.

Except when Lucien and his gf (what was her name?) walked away. They asked you to come with them, and then they just leave. And what's up with the dissappearing into a picture?!
Last edited by Basse on Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I didn't care much for Myst, and then Riven plain sucked because again there was no inventory and to much wwalking around to click buttons without any real idea about what you had to do. Exile wasn't to bad, I liked it better than the first two, but again it was lacking an inventory.
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

Hey DAT can p_fish be a "Quality Tester" for Z:THE?  Because if p_fish likes it, it must be a good game since he finds flaws in everything other than BZ.

sorry p_fish, I don't mean any offense, I'm just kidding around.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Keep it nice and clean guys... I am serious.
p_fish

Post by p_fish »

Not_Afgncaap5: Hey, no offense taken. And I have worked in QA before. Also, I'm not saying that Beyond Zork didn't have it's flaws. Every game has flaws, even if it just comes down to personal prefrence. BZ's biggest design flaw was the fact that how you built your character had very little effect on how the game progressed. Unlike, say, Fallout 2.

DataAngel: I've just gotten Exile from my friend, who liked it a lot, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Most of the reviews of it I have heard have been on the slightly negative side, due to the fact that it makes no attempt to integrate the puzzles into the game and instead makes the game a bunch of 'puzzle worlds'.
Also, I've been told it's much easier than Riven, which saddens me. the difficulty I had with Riven is what really drew me towards it, that and it's beautiful vistas. I not only _needed_ to take notes, but I enjoyed doing it. I don't think I've played a more immersive game.
JDS
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by JDS »

Except when Lucien and his gf (what was her name?) walked away. They asked you to come with them, and then they just leave. And what's up with the dissappearing into a picture?!
Hmmm, yeah, that was weird... but so was the beginning; you flew into somebody... I still don't get it :-/
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

you all say flew into somebody and you don't... whats so confusing about how you fly around until you get TO the temple.
ZorkFanDM
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by ZorkFanDM »

I really liked GI out of all of them. Nemesis is the only one I havent really played but my Zork-loving friend said it was almost too dark for him. I will try to get it (and my own copy of Return which I have only played a little) but it looks kinda iffy.
JDS
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by JDS »

Yeah, it's darker, but the Zork is still in there.
GI is cool, but far to short, and a bit easy too.
Nemesis is replayable several times, GI is replayable if you think a game should be over in 2 hours.
Make sure you get the book with Nemesis, because I forgot and wandered helplessly around the place, not knowing what code I should type in...
GoldenFjord
A white house, what?

Post by GoldenFjord »

Ah, I'm not even gonna try to vote on this, its just too damn hard.
I found it difficult to really get into the text adventures - by the time i was playing computer games Zork Zero had been released for two years! However, i still like ZZ, and contrary to many people, i've actually been really enjoying BZ. RTZ or Nemesis are probably my favs though (If you havent played RTZ in a while, play it, it just gets better!) and ZGI is pretty damn good. The only reason ZGI doesnt rank with ZN or RTZ for me is that I don't think activison put enough effort into the graphics. Nemesis was totally groundbreaking when it was released, and yet two years later we're on the same engine. (Check the settings INI file - Venus hints is still in there from nemesis!)

At any rate, i have time for all of the zorks, like real life, there should be variety!
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

hmm same engine? I wonder if theres a way to INCREASE the resoultion then for Nemesis by editing the file... :-D that would be nice.
Stuart Moore

Post by Stuart Moore »

hmm same engine? I wonder if theres a way to INCREASE the resoultion then for Nemesis by editing the file... :-D that would be nice.
In fact, Nemesis was made using MADE, same as RTZ (and LGOP2 I believe), just vastly retrofitted for ZVision. I believe ZGI is also MADE-based, just that it no longer existed as a separate engine anymore (part of ZVision).
JDS
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Post by JDS »

:o how do you know that?? :o

Oh, and DAT - you cant increase the resolution over the size of the images that are there - so it may not get better :\
Stuart Moore

Post by Stuart Moore »

:o how do you know that?? :o

Oh, and DAT - you cant increase the resolution over the size of the images that are there - so it may not get better :\
ZN's credits tells you: "MADE Engine by Henry Yiu(sp)".
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Well yes I know you can't increase the original if they are only 640x480, but if they are higher, ah who knows... interesting to try it though.