Is it the end for TZL???

Talk about your adventuring here and relive the old days when your trusty sword and lantern would save your skin from trolls and other beasts!

Moderator: KM3K

DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Is it the end for TZL???

Post by DataAngel »

I hope not, but I wanted to let you guys know whats up.

I am older now and rarely play games and feel its time to move on.
The site has been up for 12 years and I am still amazed I have taken it this far... iterations and iterations on free hosting sites to personal hosting to paid hosting.
It isn't the money, I simply feel its time to hand over the reigns to someone more eager and younger than myself.

Domain renewal is upon me(I have 2 more months left of server hosting paid) and if you are eager and intersted, please let me know! I'd love to the site stay alive and perhaps the new manager will do an even better job than I myself have done. I do not want to see the site disappear into the abyss, especially after the many weeks I spent last year redoing the site and updating it to what you see now.

Long Live Zork!!
-DAT (5-16-10)
Not_Afgncaap5
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!
Uh oh, my sword is blowing glue!

Re: Is it the end for TZL???

Post by Not_Afgncaap5 »

So a massive rewrite of your site only to possible abandon it less than a year later?
Why not be like a lot of libraries and ask for donations?
I see you say it's not about the money, well you're not going to be doing much updating, only because there isn't much NEW Zork information.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

It isn't about the money, that is correct, however it does cost money and I don't feel the need to continue to pay it, I'd prefer to simply hand it over to someone else and if they wish to maintain it, then they are in charge of costs and what happens with the site from that point on... granted ill still stop in and say hi, but i wont have to think about it anymore.
zorket
A speaking lantern? How bizarre.

Post by zorket »

Have you had any takers yet? I hope someone does step up to the plate. I know that I do not get on here often...actually I haven't been on the board in months. But when I do visit - it's like warm fuzzies!! I would be really really sad to lose this connection completely.

zorket
lordskylark
A white house, what?

Post by lordskylark »

I am the creator of the Zork Compendium portion of the website, which includes the History of Zork, the ultra-complete Encyclopedia Frobozzica, and other rare Zork documents... I am seriously thinking about taking over the website.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

What's the status of this? I don't have the time to really maintain this website like it deserves, but I would hate to see it go away.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I am in the process of trying to make sure the domain does not renew and I have no plans to renew hosting after the end of august.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

I was under the impression Lord Skylark was going to take it over. The domain is currently renewed since I was unable to cancel it after I gave the go ahead for renewal 2 weeks ago. At this time I have no plans to renew my web hosting and the site will be down as of 8/1/10.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

If Lord Skylark doesn't end up hosting, I could handle the hosting. I have extra storage space and bandwidth that I don't use on my hosting account. I don't see myself having much time to make changes to the website, but I'd rather host it as is than let it disappear. DAT, I sent you an e-mail about this too.
KM3K
TZL Administrator
TZL Administrator

Post by KM3K »

I'm going to take over hosting of The Zork Library, so you don't have to worry about all this excellent Zork content being lost. I'm still working out the details with DataAngel and will update you guys as we get things transferred to my web host. There may be some weirdness in accessing the site as the domain's DNS changes propagate but that will only be temporary.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Yes! Thanks again KM3K... I forgot to make you an admin and transfer that in the forum files, you may have trouble installing and getting it up and running if you don't have access. ;D