i need help installing RTZ

Need to sharpen your sword? Or perhaps your lantern ran out of fuel? Well come on in, drink some rye and let Jack sharpen your blade and fill that lantern!

Moderator: KM3K

lana

i need help installing RTZ

Post by lana »

i am trying to install return to zork on my computer and it asks me for with sound card i have, i don know which one i have and i think they are all old ones any ways. please can some one help me.....
DrPaul
Grue Slayer.
Grue Slayer.

Re: i need help installing RTZ

Post by DrPaul »

If your soundcards are old ones, then you are fortunate, because it will be easier to get it to run on old stuff than new.

Assuming you are running Windows, you should be able to click on Start-programs-accessories-system tools- system information or start-settings-control panel-system-hardware-device manager to find out what you have.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

If you are trying to run it on a newer system you can usually use 'SoundBlaster' for the settings and whatever defaults it uses during setup. For midi, you should be able to use 'General Midi' again using the defaults in the setup.
Ruse
A white house, what?

Post by Ruse »

Another tip--if none of the sound cards will get the sound effects to work, you might try turning OFF the use of HIMEM.  I had to do that to mine to get any sound.  It'll come in the form of 5 questions at the end of it asking which cards you have.  Highlight whichever one mentions HIMEM and hit spacebar to make it select "no".

After installation you can access these settings again by clicking "install" in the game directory.
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

You can also try using VDMSound, which may help, especially if you use a newer soundcard. You can find it at sourceforge.net
DataAngel
TZL Founder
TZL Founder

Post by DataAngel »

Install using DosBox... just make sure you mount the directory where you intend to install it too.

E.G. 'mount c c:\games' will mount a c: drive in dos box with the root of c:\games
E.G. 'mount y x:\' will mount your cd/dvd to y: in dos box with x:\ is location of drive