SHUTTLE SERVICE COURTESY PHONE
The Hades Shuttle Service Courtesy Phone, installed sometime between
at the Underground Underground
station's entrance to
, was the modern method to summoning Charon
in order to
bear the recently deceased across the River Styx
(it is unknown as to
whether any of the other entrances to Hades had courtesy phones). Just
before 1067, this service underwent a retro-fitting to insure full ease
of abuse, customer dissatisfaction, and user-unfriendliness while
inefficiently bringing the recently deceased to their final
destination. Before crossing, a "few simple questions" needed to be
answered using the touch tone pad. Because of the nature of these
questions and the lineup of frustrated customers, the Hades Shuttle
installed a Courtesy Phone Hint Line
shortly thereafter. If all
the questions were answered correctly, a shuttle would be along shortly
for transportation to Hades.
the listing of questions varies, the following helps to explain the
difficulty in gaining entrance to the underworld. It was not the
chooseable answers that were confounding:
- press 1 for 'yes'
- press 3 for 'rather stinky'
- press 6 for 'no'
- press 9 for 'a great deal of cheese'
but how to use them:
- Press 1 for the list of questions
- to press 3, please press 7
- to hear these options again, call back and listen to them again.
- to press 4, hit the pound key
- to return to the main menu, you're already there.
- press 8 to press 1
- to wait on hold, stay on the line
- to press 6, press 2
- for a list of numbers, count to 10
- to press 7, press 5
- to hear the answers, press 6
- to press 0, press the star key
- to hear these options backwards, press 9
- to press the star key, press 0
- press 3 if you really want to
- for all other inquiries, please blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Though some intelluctual enchanters
have found the KENDALL spell to be vary helpful in bypassing the nastiness of this service.
|SOURCE(S): Zork:Grand Inquisitor|