The Cultural Complex, located near Port Foozle, was the cultural center of the Great Underground Empire built during the reign of Lord Dimwit Flathead. When the Empire fell in 883 GUE, this portion of the Underground was forgotten until 1066, when it was rediscovered by the Inquisiton.

The imposing ante-room of the Cultural Complex was adorned in the ghastly style of the Great Underground Empire's "Grotesque Period" with leering gargoyles, cartoonished friezes depicting long-forgotten scenes of GUE history and primitive statuary of pointy-headed personages.

A passageway the size of a large city boulevard opened eastward under a fifty-story triumphal arch into the Royal Theater. This cavernous auditorium was reputed to be the most elaborate in the Great Underground Empire. Built to the precise specifications of Lord Dimwit Flathead, its excessive structure held 69,105 seats, not including the royal box seats that were centrally situated on the 37th mezzanine. The seats themselves were built like thrones, with high, wooden backs that obscured visibility (probably required a ladder to get into one) and made the seating area seem rather like a forest of stunted trees. A long aisle ran the entire length of the auditorium from the cultural center to the oversized stage. In all other directions, narrow aisles had been arranged in the "maze of twisty passages" style that was so popular in Dimwit's day. The rather large proscenium, seeming to have been designed mainly with live performances in mind, sported a large, maroon curtain leading backstage and a row of brightly colored footlights.

The original intention of the area north of the ante-room is unknown, but during 1066 it was used as the site of the annual Grue Convention.

A smaller a more dignified post-Dimwit path led from the Cultural Complex's ante-room into the Hall of Science. Compared to the grandeur of the other parts of the center, this area was rather austere, serving mainly as the entrance to the Museum of Illusions, The Mud Forum, and Museum of Adventure.

The Museum of Illusion was dedicated to the memory of the Great Implementers with a row of delicately crafted porcelain busts of these immortal greats. Legend had it that so lifelike were these busts, that they would seem to talk among themselves, discussing history, the arts, music, and philosophy, much as those mythic figures once did. But years of neglect and the ravages of time toppled most from atop their finely-wrought pedestals. In 1066 the only two that remained were those of Marc Blank and Mike Berlyn (bloodied, but unbent; battered, but unbroken; shaken, but not stirred). In addition to the physical desecration of the shrine, an attempt had been made to commercialize what remained, for a sign above the busts read, "Consult the Oracles - 10 zorkmids."

This Musem of Adventure was a sick, twisted, and pitiful homage to that special creature known as the Adventurer. In the center of the room sat a skeleton of an adventurer. Before 1066 the walls had been clawed, the wallpaper and exhibit signs shredded by what was probably an over-excited tourist group of grues.

The large, square chamber was certainly messy enough for The Mud Forum (whatever that might be), but there was no mud in sight (for purposes of argument, it could be postulated that the water source for the mud has dried up, or that mud was brought in for some scientific purpose, or that MUD refers to a Multi-User Dungeon of the sort now popular among the better-socialized members of the adventurer class.) Attached to this chamber was the Extraterrestrial Museum which was designed for some otherworldly visitors, namely giant rat-ants.

SOURCE(S): Zork: The Undiscovered Underground